Monday, June 9, 2008

Rowboats and Windmills


I can’t deny that when I came on this trip I had no idea what I would “want” to do, or see or anything, but that gradually changed. Finally, now, half way through this freaking program I wake up and start figuring out what I want to really see, a windmill.

Why? Several reasons:
1. On the train from Amsterdam to Brussels I was very envious of the people leisurely biking through the open countryside and wanted to do the same.
2. I think I’m just fickle. I can’t explain it, but I’ve come to realize that I need intense types of variety, to keep me mentally engaged in life. I needed to get up and get away into the countryside.
3. I could probably fish through my basement and find the old Delft blue windmills Papa brought home from Holland years ago as souvenirs. I’m bad, I want to see everything my dad had the grace to see, and I’m going to do it, if not more.

What made it better, was that I really wasn’t too sure about where I was going. I googled “windmills, den haag” and found out about three that were located about 9 miles away ie about an hour long ride. Tried to map out a rough route that would take be through the countryside on the way, and was off. As I was leaving, Volt offered to accompany me, and I gladly accepted. Probably the best decision I’ve made in a while.

The day was amazing, because we waited till about 12 to leave, when the morning haze was on it’s way out. We rode around, slightly off path here and there, but eventually made it. And this is what I saw as we came around the bend…

I can’t even explain it. It’s stupid yes, but I felt like a kid in a candy shop. I had finally found the quintessential Dutch picture that I was dying to take. No, let me re phrase that, I took about 100 pictures that day. Mostly, just these three windmills. Still have decided which one I like best. Check them out on Picasa and let me know what you think.

http://picasaweb.google.com/JabeenReza/Windmills

Volt was an amazing riding buddy I have to say. He put up with every stop I took to pet a random horse, or stare at a sheep. And, even was my cohort in crime when it came to renting a rowboat when neither of us knew how to swim.


Yea, not the smartest idea, I know. But we survived, learned how to row through dense lilly pads, and got some incredible pictures from it too.

All in all, I have to say, A M A Z I N G. If only I had another wonderful day to check out some more countryside scenery. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

2 comments:

Ana-Maria said...

I love reading about your adventures! The picture of you in the row boat with the windmill in the back is fantastic. And, commenting from an older post - *I* would have been curious to know what you got at the grocery store! It's always so exciting all the weird/different things you find in foreign grocery stores.

Diana said...

beautiful windmill pics!

i like the first one especially :)