Thursday, June 26, 2008

Keeping in Touch

So, the below two posts are backdated, just so you know. It's not like Ramallah is that backwards that I don't have a phone or internet, we just don't have internet in my apt, so when I finally got myself to a restaurant with internet, I wanted to catch up. So, if you're reading this now, scroll down and read the other two. I swear they're interesting!

Anwys, I've been having a hard time figuring out this SIM card business with the phones. As of now I've spent 300 shekels (almost 100 bucks) on trying to get a phone that works etc. The phone I bought when I first arrived in Jerusalem doesn't work in Ramallah, so I gave in and bought another one here. There's are two big phone companies, Orange and Jawaal. Apparently Orange works great the closer you are to the border, but doesn't work at all out here in Ramallah. I found that out the hard way. And after being told repeatedly by my roommates to buy a Jawaal so they aren't texting internationally (to my US phone) anymore, I gave in.

The woman selling me this phone agreed to take my other one, but I wasn't going to give it to her for free. Tomorrow I'll be arguing with the first guy to take it back, and give me at least half of my money back. Yay for me, yelling at mean cell phone selling guys. :-)

Today I spent most of my day lying around at home. I some how got a cold, that progressed into a fever last night. God knows how I got that with this weather. (which is great btw, much better than the Hague!) But I'm better now, the internet withdrawal motivated me enough to stop watching TV and actually walk over here.
So, I've also realized that despite my hijab helping me "blend in" it's kind of hard when I'm a complete tomboy compared to hijabi women here. I always considered myself to be in between, but here i'm soooo not girlish enough. lol. One of my roommates was telling me to wear more makeup i.e. Lot of eye shadow.

More eye shadow, and a really tight shirt long sleeve shirt with a tank top on top, yea then I'll blend in. hahaha. NOT.
O, btw here's a picture of the landscape. Not the best, I've been a bit hesitant to take pictures everywhere and draw a whole lot of attention to myself. This is just the tip of the iceburg, it's GORGEOUS out here :-)



And finally, my apartment building...


No comments: