Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Life as it is

There really hasn't been a whole lot to say recently. Life has been good, except for the usual harassment I got yesterday trying to get into Jerusalem again. Yes, they took me off the bus again. And proceeded to tell me that the stamp THEIR ministry of interior gave me, confirming my valid stay in Israel is fake.

Just as I was trying to be sympathetic. This time was a bit better, simply because they didn't check my bag. And Alison was with me, so I finally had someone else see first hand how annoying their racial profiling is. Good to know I just wasted away my passport by getting the stamp, just to find out I was given as much of a problem as if I didn't have it.

I jokingly told Alison I was going to try to cross next time in a mini skirt and no scarf. We laughed when we realized there would still be one problem: all of my IDs have me with a scarf on. I could try saying I'm here to convert to Judiasm, but I doubt they'll buy it.

Ah, I almost forgot, I've been meaning to write about my first "Palestinian" party. Our clinic students are rather social and wanted to have a clinic party.

Thafer agreed to host it at his house, which I must saw was gorgeous! Above is just a picture of me and Alison hanging out on his swing. Here's just a tidbit of the amazing spread we had. Granted, this is after ten guys and two girls have had their way with the food. We had almost unlimited amounts of chicken (bones collected in the big pot), two argillas going (here's Halika prepping one), and some really fun dhabka dancing.

I think what I truly enjoyed about the party was that it was a step away from the news, from the drama of living in the OPT. We were all just living life. I would sometimes think, "it doesn't look so bad, I mean, people still have homes, cars, they go shopping, I don't see anything wrong on the surface". But that's just it. On the surface, people still have to live their lives as part of the daily battle of being in the OPT. Have parties, go shopping, hang out in the park. Simple parts of life that have to go on, because they're part of who you are.

No one wants to lose their identity. We don't realize it, but it's the way we go through our day that defines us. And for the Palestinian life that I've experienced, it's this identity that's worth more than anything.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

great post; i think nick kristof of the NYT will be calling you soon! as soon as i heard you were blogging from the OPT i started reading. i wanted to travel there after Cairo, but didn't plan well enough to do it. enjoy your stay (as much as that's possible), don't let the racial profiling get to you too much, and get home safely!