Saturday, August 9, 2008

Jerusalem...again

Originally having planned on meeting with the Spanish Consulate this Thursday, I didn't have any grand travel plans for this weekend. When the meeting fell through at the last minute, I was left with two days to do, well nothing in particular. Tel Aviv and Haifa would cost me more than I can afford right now, and those were only the real places I wanted to go at this point. I settled on making a second trip into Jerusalem instead.

I picked up a few more things I had wanted to buy, and wandered back into Dome of the Rock to pray like a good Muslim instead of a tourist. I felt a bit more spiritualized this time so things worked out a bit more properly. I guess the guards could tell too, because they didn't have me reading any excerpts this time, just asked about my strange background given my passport (born in the UAE, lives in the US but is Paki?)

Afterwards I headed over to the Mount of Olives to find two things in particular: The place where Jesus (Hazrat Isa) was arrested, and his footprint. Well, after a bit too much wandering I didn't find the footprint, but I did find the garden. These trees are supposedly almost 2000 years old. Upon finding the garden, I also strolled into the Church of all Nations, which was by far one of the most impressive churches I've seen yet.

The alter:America represented as one of the nations that supported the building of this church. Hence, the Church of all Nations.
Work is wrapping up, and actually slightly sad. I've enjoyed working with my team, no matter how annoying it could get at times. But thank god for facebook, we'll actually still keep in touch...

6 days and counting.

No comments: