Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Orientation??

Today I finally accepted the fact that this was going to be my home and hence trekked out to make it such. I doubt anyone wants to hear what I bought at the grocery store so I'm not going into that. Just that I stuck to the foods I knew I could eat considering reading ingredients was out of the question. Everything was in Dutch. Later on in the day we had our nonexistent orientation session that lasted an hour, followed by a mad rush of people to the computers in the library. Because we still didn’t have internet. I'm not saying I wanted to sit and gchat or anything, I just wanted the chance to skype home and tell everyone I was ok. It was a legitimate interest, but o well. We were told that by the end of the day, someone would give us the passwords for the wireless connection and life would be normal again.

It's pretty obvious that a good mood can always follow a full stomach, so we were fed a huge free 3 course dinner as part of our orientation. In typically desi fashion I thought I'd save half of my dinner (it was a HUGE bowl of pasta) for dinner later in the week. That's when I found out taking food home from a restaurant in Europe is not considered normal, hence the weird looks the waiter was giving me.

But who cares? All I wanted was to get home and get on the internet so I could call home. Opening our doors to find a letter with the passwords on it was thrilling for all of us. We were like kids staring at a cookie jar, all so excited about reaching in for the cookie, that we spill the jar on the floor and that one last cookie is ruined. Why? Because we bombarded the modem with the sheer number of computers trying to steal the wireless signal from each other that no one had reception for more than one or two minutes.

Talk about a tease! O well. I went to bed annoyed. Again. This feeling was starting to become habitual, and I didn't like the idea of it.

No comments: